Friday, September 21, 2012

Camembert and caramelized fig quiche

I bought some fresh figs at the market, because I decided it's time to incorporate them into my "repertoire", and to learn how to prepare them. I also have a faint attraction towards them, because my Mom keeps telling me how I used to love figs when I was two years old. And I haven't eaten any figs ever since. 
So having bought the figs, I started to think about ways to use them, and ideas for great combinations. After browsing through several fig related blog posts and recipes, I concluded that figs are supposed to go well with thyme and cheese, so there was my combination, I just had to think of how to interpret it. Finally, I decided to make a quiche.

Camembert and caramelized fig quiche


I am a huge fan of quiches, especially the Quiche Lorraine, because it is so simple, yet delicious. So I thought   of replacing the bacon with the caramelized figs, and as for the cheese, I obviously had to choose a French type, a camembert. It turned out to be a great choice, it worked fabulously with the figs.

Ingredients:

2 figs
1 tablespoon of sugar
sprigs of thyme
1 piece of camembert cheese
4 eggs
0.5 cup of double cream
250 g (9 oz) plain flour
100 g (3.5 oz) butter
salt, pepper


Instructions:

First, to make the dough for the quiche, knead together the flour, 1 egg and the butter. If it is too dry, add a little bit of water. Roll it out on a clean surface, then arrange in a tart pan, making a rim. Heat up the oven to 180°C (356°F), and beak the dough for about 25 minutes.
meanwhile, mix the remaining three eggs with the double cream, and season with salt and pepper. Slice the figs, heat up a pan, and place the fig slices in it. Sprinkle with sugar, and the thyme sprigs. Allow it about 10 minutes, or until you see that the figs soaked up the sugar and seem juicy. Cut the camembert cheese into slices.
Take out the dough from the oven, pour in the egg mixture, and arrange the fig and cheese slices on top. bake for a further 30 minutes.

P.S.: I am sorry for the poor photo, it was already dark outside, so I couldn't use natural light.





5 comments:

  1. SO gorg!!! I could stare at this dish for quite a while before squishing into the cheese...Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quiche should be nothing but fantastic! I just adore figs and with camembert they´re perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had too many quiches but I have to say I definitely want to make this one. Figs and camembert cheese sound like a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are two very important features to an excellent quiche: a light, flaky crust and a heavenly filling. Quiche is such as simple meal. It can be served for regular family dinners, a brunch or for an elegant entree for guests. Basic quiche recipes begin with eggs beaten light and frothy. The number of eggs depends on the size of the quiche. In most cases, 4 eggs may be adequate to balance out other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete